Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Political: How would Jesus vote?

I really hate to keep dragging politics into my little haven of random brain-spewings, but I can't help but comment on this story in today's Missouri Columbia Daily Tribune. Jesus was the "original Democrat" and would vote for John Kerry?!? What a pitiful, desperate gimmick on the part of these "religious experts."

Jesus didn't drop by our planet to tell us how to run our government. Jesus came to Earth to show us the way to the Father. It is our responsibility as His followers to care for the fatherless and the widow. Who do you think is better at "feeding the poor, caring about children, making sure that people have enough food to eat," the government (think $435 hammers), or the church (Union Gospel Mission, for example)? Jesus didn't run around calling for the Romans to take better care of their poor and children. He told his followers to do that.

The role of government should be minimal. Let's not get gimmicky trying to claim that Jesus is on our side because we're the "nice guy."

8 Comments:

Blogger ninjanun said...

Did you not read the article in its entirety? They concluded Jesus wouldn't vote for either candidate.

3:50 PM, August 18, 2004  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

I did indeed read the article in its entirety. 85% of the article talks about these "religious experts" who declare that Jesus would vote for John Kerry. They then spend the last 3 paragraphs saying that a few of the people at the conference think that maybe Jesus wouldn't get involved. In the last paragraph, they quoted a mysterious figure, not previously mentioned in the article, known only as "Davis." He says that Jesus was "above such earthly disputes." I'm not sure who this "they" is that you are referring to, but neither the article author nor anyone quoted in the article "concludes" anything other than that Jesus would support John Kerry.

4:02 PM, August 18, 2004  
Blogger ninjanun said...

You say the role of government should be minimal. Funny, then, that you support Bush, who has created the biggest American government in history.

4:48 PM, August 18, 2004  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

Two things:

1 - I never said I support everything that President Bush does. I simply find him to be the best option out of a collection of imperfect choices. I do wish that he focused more on reducing government spending.

2 - That said, increased government spending is different than increasing the overall role of government. I'm not saying I support higher spending, just that they're not exactly the same thing.

I think that Bush is doing a good job, given the circumstances he has had to deal with. I do not think that Kerry would do a better job. That is why I support Bush, not because I agree 100% with everything that he does.

5:23 PM, August 18, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People who speak for Jesus is a joke. They're in no position at all to do so. Not many people are.

12:49 AM, August 19, 2004  
Blogger ninjanun said...

And sometimes people who speak for themselves ARE a joke. Grammar, people! Let's snap it up!

8:22 AM, August 19, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez... I apologize for the grammatical mistake, but that's so besides the point. My point was how those who feel so righteous are really in no position to judge others or say what Jesus thinks. Quit with the petty insults and get the stick out of your a** already.

3:26 AM, August 20, 2004  
Blogger ninjanun said...

I think the Religious Right has been trying to speak on behalf of Jesus for FAR longer than the "liberals," so I don't see why the defensiveness when the shoe is on the other foot.

10:04 AM, August 20, 2004  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home