Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Political: Boring Senate News

Apparently there was quite a ruckus on the Senate floor yesterday, caused by some random provision embedded deep in a spending bill. Some people were upset about privacy or possible political retribution allowed by the proposed law or something, I don't really know. What strikes me as the real news here is that this means someone in the Senate is actually reading the bills! That's pretty hard to believe, so I'll let it sink in.

...

...

...

Okay. While I was giving you time to let it sink in, I read the story further, and discovered that it's not what I thought:
Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., whose aide was the first to point out implications posed by the provision, said he was writing the head of the IRS to ask whether the language originated in that agency.
House Appropriations Committee Chairman Bill Young, R-Fla., said both Republican and Democratic staff read through the bill Thursday, and the issue was not raised.
So I guess the Senators aren't reading bills after all. It's just their aides and staff. Well, nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home