Tuesday, December 28, 2004

"Message" Movies

So I finally watched The Day After Tomorrow yesterday, and at the end I was struck with a distinct feeling that the movie was trying to get across some message to me. Much in the same way as the movie John Q, I just couldn't help but feel as though I was being preached to. Now, everyone knows that the message in John Q is "If you don't have government health insurance, buy a gun and hold a hospital hostage." (We all know how wonderful government health care is, after all.) But what is the message in The Day After Tomorrow? Well, I've got a few ideas of what their message was supposed to be:
  • If Los Angeles experiences a series of tornadoes, head south ASAP.
  • If you have a dangerous mission to go on, don't let two of your friends come along. One of them will certainly be greviously injured or die.
  • It's good for the US to keep Latin American countries indebted to us so we can use debt forgiveness as a bargaining tool.
Of course, I'm not really sure how any of those lessons are supposed to relate to anybody's daily life, but I'm sure there must be some way. Or, maybe I'm missing something.

Hmm... Naw.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home