Thursday, February 03, 2005

Intellectual Lunchtime Discussion

Judging from the banter that I listened in on as I ate my lunch today, I've come to the conclusion that my cow-orkers are experts in many fields. These fields include (but are most certainly not limited to):
  • investing
  • foreign policy
  • tax law
  • political strategy
  • global economics
I know they must be experts, because they spent nearly the entire lunch time analyzing these issues, offering their opinions with utmost confidence in the accuracy of everything they said.

For instance, while discussing the war in Iraq, one of them--clearly a foreign policy savant--stated that the "whole mess" could have been avoided with "a simple phone call to the Saudis." I found this to be quite a fascinating position, as I was completely unaware that all the citizens of Saudi Arabia had their phone lines tied together. At another point in the discussion, they all agreed that George Bush's plans for Social Security will both "ruin the system" and simultaneously "never happen."

You may think that it takes years of experience in these complicated fields or at least a related undergraduate degree to make such bold proclamations, but clearly my cow-orkers have been Heaven-blessed with crystal clear insight into these issues. Yes, I am quite privileged to be working with such intellectual giants. Please try to contain your envy.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go wash my hands. They feel dirty after typing that French word up there.
Categories: Personal, Politics

4 Comments:

Blogger blogdog said...

Chuckle. Cow-orkers are the same everywhere, aren't they?

Vive le DNRC!

3:55 PM, February 03, 2005  
Blogger LotharBot said...

Your cow-orkers (how do you pronounce "orkers" anyway?) are obviously idiots. At least, compared to my friends.

Most of them are experts not only in investing, foreign policy, tax law, political strategy, and global economics, but also in evolutionary Biology, Bible history and translation, Jewish culture, climatology, nanotechnology, and mathematics. They told me so themselves! They often tell me things that are strongly at odds with what I learned working toward my masters degree, or things that I'm studying for my PhD. It's good they're setting me straight!

7:48 PM, February 04, 2005  
Blogger ninjanun said...

Are they really saying they're experts, or are they just espousing an opinion with authority?
Because most people do that. Why? Because it seems silly (even tho' it's true) for someone to say, 'Well, I don't know very much about this from first-hand experience or formal education, but nonetheless, here's my opinion...."

8:05 AM, February 05, 2005  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

Or they could just use the simple prefix "I think" or "it seems" or even "maybe." None of those types of phrases are uttered by my expert cow-orkers. The attitude is much more one of "Gee, the President (or whatever major figure they disagree with at the time) is so stupid. I could do things so much better."

7:39 PM, February 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home