Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Beauty and Sadness — The Gobbler

The Red Room of the GobblerSee that picture over on the right? That is a snapshot of the Red Room, inside the Gobbler; one of the most wonderful hotels ever to exist on this planet. This majestic Wisconsin travel destination was brought to my attention today through this link. As I clicked through the pages of Mr. Lileks' wonderful journey through this quality 1960's establishment, I felt a great sense of wonder and joy creep across my whole body. What a delightful place. Maybe some day I will be lucky enough to see it.

After I read his tale, I found myself craving more information about the Gobbler. Mr. Lilek visited in 1984, but surely there must be some more recent information than that, somewhere out in the vast sea of knowledge and wisdom that is the Internet? Indeed there is. Coming to my rescue was one Mr. Eric Wagoner, with a write-up and pictures of his visit in 1999. Even though this information was more recent, it still left many questions unanswered. I needed more.

Finally, I arrived at the detailed requiem penned by Ms. Lenka Reznicek. Ms. Reznicek's tale picks up in 2001, and brings us up to date on the status of the Gobbler, through 2002. While this is still 3 years ago, when you read the link you will discover the sad reason that this is recent enough.

Go read these three stories, in order, and you too will be able to enjoy the Gobbler experience.
Categories: Culture, Capitalism

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home