Tuesday, March 29, 2005

NAAFA

NAAFAMost of the posts that I make on this blog fall neatly into two categories:
  • Stuff I am making up
  • Stuff I wish I was making up
Sadly, today's story falls into the second category. I was skimming through yet another "I'm entitled" article last week when I came upon the NAAFA. The story was about a woman who, with her wheelchair, exceeds the 600-pound safety limit for the wheelchair lift on the local city busses. Never mind the fact that 600 pounds is a the Americans with Disabilities Act standard. She's entitled to ride whatever bus she wants, and she's going to make a ruckus to be sure that everyone knows it.

So who is NAAFA, and where do they come in? A representative from NAAFA throws down the 'd' word* in the article, and explains why NAAFA is throwing all their weight behind Ms. Entitled. NAAFA stands for the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance. That's right. Apparently we as Americans are so rejecting of Fat that there has to be an acronymed association to help us repent. Right.

Or maybe the NAAFA was formed a hundred years ago, and now that they have completed their mission, they just enjoy each other's company so much that they haven't disbanded. Having not lived a hundred years ago, I can safely assume that American culture was far less accepting of Fat than it is now.

No, I definitely don't think we have a problem with Fat Acceptance these days. But maybe that's just me...

Nope, not just me.

* discrimination
Categories: Culture

2 Comments:

Blogger LotharBot said...

Looks like NAAFA was successful 80% of the time in suppressing your post. (I saw 2 copies earlier, and one had a note that this was the 10th attempt.) Did they push it up to 90% after the fact?

Well, I saw what you posted! They have been foiled.

5:39 PM, March 29, 2005  
Blogger Ariel said...

I shudder to envision the America that NAAFA hopes to create. We'd better start supersizing all cars and sidewalks right now.

9:55 AM, March 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home