Monday, March 14, 2005

Some Kinda Toy Truck

Ruby's Delivery Truck - Front
When I first saw this toy truck, I thought, "Oh cute, a little pull-back-let-go delivery truck." Then I noticed that the back side of the truck was emblazoned with the logo for Ruby's Diner. Now, for those of you who haven't been to a Ruby's Diner, let me take a moment to explain the experience before we go on about the toy truck.

When you see a Ruby's from outside, you think "How clever, it's a quaint 50's style diner." They've got the art deco style going on, and all the waitresses are all wholesome looking. It's very inviting, so you decide to go inside and give them a chance. Once you get inside and sit down, you start to notice something a little... odd. There just seems to be an awful lot of red. In fact, it's not just red. It's red & white. And it's not just a random collection of red & white, it's dozens of Coca-Cola logos, all over everything. In fact, by the time you've finished your mediocre-tasting, gourmet-priced food, you realize that the whole joint seems to be just one giant Coca-Cola advertisement. Even the waitresses' outfits, which from a distance appeared to be pink, are in fact adorned in tiny red & white stripes. Finally you leave, with a semi-satisfied feeling in your belly, and a few dozen dollars less to your name. But at least it went to a good cause (Coca-Cola).

Ruby's Delivery Truck - The LoadNone of that has anything to do really with this toy truck, but since we were talking about Ruby's, I thought I would share.

So anyway, about the cute pull-back-let-go delivery truck. At first I thought it was cute, then I thought it was some Ruby's propaganda (and therefore Coca-Cola propaganda). Then, I looked at the top side of the truck. Whoa. What is that? Apparently Ruby's has some need of brown sludge to be delivered to them. Or maybe it's being taken from them and delivered somewhere else. Either way, I really don't understand how this is supposed to make me hungry for Coca-Cola burgers. This truck is either a child-propaganda tool gone horribly, horribly wrong, or a covert Pepsi guerilla marketing tactic. Either way, my perception of this child's toy has been... um... soiled.
Categories: Capitalism

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home