Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Tips to Avoid Traffic

Sitting in nasty traffic.Nobody likes sitting in traffic. Unless they're a freak. I suppose freaks might like sitting in traffic. But I digress. For those who hate to sit in traffic, it often seems like there is little choice. Did you know that 85% of traffic that people sit in happens during their commute? That's a large amount of the traffic that we sit through in our lives, and there are simple steps that you can take to reduce or even completely eliminate the time you spend commuting in traffic.

It's easy! Just follow these two simple rules:
  1. Always live closer to town than you work.
  2. Never live more than 20 miles from your workplace.
You may be saying (in a really whiney voice): "But Skor, real estate is too expensive closer to town." Or: "I can't afford to move now!" Or: "I just got through painting my house pink! I couldn't bear to leave it now!" I know, I know. It's tough advice to follow, but look at it this way: Even though they may have to move into a house that is an average of 33% smaller, people who follow my advice shorten their commute times by an average of 53%!

If your commute is an hour each way right now, your new commute after implementing my advice would be only 28 minutes! That's an extra 5 hours, 20 minutes each week that you could be spending at home with your family (or at the local bar, or skinny-dipping in the creek, or whatever). Over the course of a year, you'll have spared yourself the equivalent of an extra 11 days of sitting in traffic. Don't you think that's worth a house that's 33% smaller?

I know for me, there's nothing that brightens my commute quite like whizzing by hundreds of nearly-stopped cars, all (very slowly) traveling in the opposite direction of me. My 18 mile commute takes just 27 minutes thanks to rule #1, but people making the same commute in the opposite direction sit in traffic for over an hour! Gross!

Save yourself from the grossness of traffic. It's as easy as 1-2. Hmm, that wasn't as catchy as it seemed like it would be.

P.S. (These rules do not work in L.A. or New York. If you live there, you're just screwed. Move somewhere else. Just not Washington State.)

P.P.S. (100% of the statistics quoted in this post were made up on the spot. But that's okay, because even the "mainstream media" does it 72% of the time.)
Categories: Personal, Culture, Serious

6 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

You could always do what I do: work nights. If you work nights, you'll always be going the opposite direction of traffic, unless you've followed Skor's advice and moved closer to town than you work and/or live in L.A. or New York, in which case you're just screwed.

12:34 PM, March 02, 2005  
Blogger Iguana said...

There are other options. You could do what I do. You could actually live in Seattle but work in an entirely different city in an entirely different country. I literally fly over all the traffic on my commute to to work.

Now, the screwed up part of this, of course, is that I live in Seattle when I could live pretty much anywhere I want to live.

I'm still scratching my head over that one. But, at least I don't live in LA or New York, where I'd be screwed no matter what.

9:53 PM, March 02, 2005  
Blogger PKD said...

I'm still lost in the blizzard's bellowing misery.

10:00 PM, March 02, 2005  
Blogger countjrg said...

My wife has the traffic problem knocked out! She rides in the carpool lane with the only passenger being our 3 month old daughter. It used to drive me nuts to see women do that, but now it's kind of nice! So there you go! Just transport a child where ever you go!

8:45 AM, March 03, 2005  
Blogger Nina said...

I agree. I use to live an hour from my job and wanted to kill myself after the day was over. Four hours in the car. I live in the DC area so horrible traffic. Now I live closer and are not as stressed out as I use to be.

9:23 AM, March 03, 2005  
Blogger Ariel said...

>>there's nothing that brightens my commute quite like whizzing by hundreds of nearly-stopped cars, all (very slowly) traveling in the opposite direction of me.<<

Exactly. Experiences like this, which I also enjoy, are solid gold. (Btw - ka-blam - you've been blogrolled.)

7:22 AM, March 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home