Thursday, June 23, 2005

Giant Head Fetish

Whoa, that's one BIG HEAD!There I was, innocently browsing through "The Day in Pictures" feature on the Seattle P-I, lured in by three young raccoons, when all of a sudden, BOOM! There's this giant head staring at me.

Once I got over the initial shock, I found that I couldn't shake this eerie feeling I was having that I had seen this photograph somewhere before. After pondering the matter for a few hours, I started to remember...

Have you ever had this feeling that many photojournalists seem to have some kind of fetish for photos of giant heads? Jamie Zawinski did, and he decided to collect them throughout 2004.

Since it is clear from Mr. Zawinski's study that there isn't just a single photographer out there whose signature photograph is the "giant head," one wonders why there is such a prevalence of these pictures. Does each photographer think to themselves: "Look, there's a unique and intriguing picture! *snap*"? Surely they must be aware how overused the giant heads are... Maybe it is a standard style that is taught in photojournalist school, where picture-takers are encouraged to "dare to be the same."

It seems that the giant head may be destined to remain one of life's great mysteries.

In other news: Christopher Lee (of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and much more) and Sheikh Ahmed Yassin (featured in the big heads collection)—one in the same? And yes, I am well aware that others have noticed the same thing. It's still a relevant question, though.

Source: Seattle P-I
Categories: News, Culture, Internet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home