Friday, July 08, 2005

That whooshing sound you hear...

whoosh!That whooshing sound you hear is the breeze passing straight through local columnist Danny Westneat's head as he manages to miss the point yet again—intentionally. What the heck am I talking about? On June 17th, Mr. Westneat wrote a column chastising parents who pull out all the stops to get their children in a good school. In a same-day response, Sound Politics chastised him for missing the point that schools should strive to be *gasp* better, in order to attract parents. After three weeks of pondering and 300 comments, Mr. Westneat decided today to respond to his critics.

If I may (and really even if I may not), I would like to summarize Mr. Westneat's argument on this matter. It goes a little something like this:
I realize that parents want good schools for their children. But I think it is unreasonable and just plain wrong to expect the public schools to improve themselves. If the nearest public school to your house is a wasteland of government ineptitude, devoid of any semblance of intelligent life, why not throw a bunch of your own money at it to make it slightly better? It's not like you're already paying for schools, and should expect them to be of reasonably high quality to begin with... er, wait. Anyway, throwing more money at a problem is always the best solution. So quit cheating the system, you darn parents, and throw more money at it instead.
Mr. Westneat closes his brilliant comeback piece with this gem (and I quote):
In fact, as much as I respect you readers, I find your point this time to be so cynical, and ultimately so destructive, that I intend to go right on missing it.
Yes Mr. Westneat, you are so right. How cynical and destructive it is to want our schools to do the job we pay them to do already, and to do it well. What fools we are.

Source: Seattle Times
Categories: Local

3 Comments:

Blogger P Scott Cummins said...

Danny was on KUOW this morning. I'm sure he felt quite at home there, inasmuch that NPR is another example of his anti-free market mindset! Whoa, I just made a serious comment to Skor Grimm. Now THAT concerns me!

12:21 PM, July 08, 2005  
Blogger Iguana said...

Funny, I was inspired by the utter idiocy of Westnut's column to put a piece about it on my own blog.

Westnut is just so amazingly typical of the Seattle liberal-as-a-fashion-statement mindset - if you can't win a debate using logic and on the merits, hold your ears and sanctimoniously declare that you are on higher moral ground.

This is why Seattle is the laughing stock of the nation and is slowly, but surely, slip sliding away.

1:42 AM, July 10, 2005  
Anonymous Kiddo said...

Referring to Mr. Westneat's quote (the "gem", as Skor called it):

Goodness, you'd think he was talking about his own point of view...

2:44 PM, July 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home