Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Buy Your Olympic Olympics Here

The OlympicsWere you aware that it's against the law to use the word "Olympic" unless you happen to be the United States Olympic Committee (USOC), or someone authorized by them to do so? It's true. Well, it's mostly true. The USOC can bring a civil suit against you if you use the word Olympic (among others) or their magical symbols to try to sell or advertise anything.

"But what about the Olympic mountains," you say. Well fear not, the law has a special exemption just for that. You can say "Olympic" if you:
  • Don't use any of their other magic words or symbols, and...
  • You're obviously talking about the mountains, and...
  • You're based in Western Washington and you don't try to sell your stuff anywhere else.
Wait, what? Read that last one again. Yes that's right, if you try to sell your Olympic products or services anywhere outside of Western Washington, you're a filthy law-breaker.

This brings me to a confession I feel I must make: one of my nasty habits just so happens to be finding obscure ways to break laws. Therefore, I would like to announce right here on this blog (which is available worldwide, not just in Western Washington) that I will be selling bumper stickers with the logo seen above for the nominal cost of $2.50 plus shipping ($0.37 in the US at the time of this writing). Contact me via email at skorgrimm_at_gmail_dot_com if you are interested. If there is enough interest I will set up an easier way to order.

Buy a bumper sticker today to show off your Olympic (mountains, of course) pride!

Source: US Code via Slashdot
Categories: Culture, Capitalism

2 Comments:

Blogger DaButtminster said...

Naughty, NAUGHTY Skor. I'm telling. And I encourage all other readers of your blog to report you as well.

My email to the USOC:


-----Original Message-----
From: *CENSORED*
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 4:35 PM
To: media@usoc.org
Subject: USOC trademark violation


Dear United States Olympic Committee,

It saddens me to report that a rogue blogger is shamelessly and illegally profitting by selling "Olympic" bumper stickers in gross violation of your trademark. I hope you will take action immediately to stop this:

http://skorgrimm.blogspot.com/2005/08/buy-your-olympic-olympics-here.html

Best Regards,

-*CENSORED*

4:39 PM, August 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you setup a cafe press store?

4:35 PM, August 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home