Monday, August 15, 2005

Help Me Justify

So, I've been thinking lately that I need to buy a video camera. Think of all the great things I could do with a 24x zoom and hours of digital video tape. There's even some good deals out there, with MiniDV cameras coming in at just over $300, making them hard to pass them up. I may very well become the last person on Earth to own a cell phone, but I'd really rather not miss the boat when it comes to a cool technology that doesn't require soul-sucking multi-year "service agreements."

There's just one problem. In order to purchase a sweet video recording device, I've got to justify spending $300 on what is essentially a toy, not just to myself, but also to the Skor-spouse. So this is where I'm asking for your assistance. What are some compelling reasons to own a video camera? Here's the list that I've been able to come up with so far:
  • Filming my plants growing
  • Filming myself playing video games (no, I won't explain that one further)
  • Ferret playtime
  • Andy Milonakis
  • Video evidence would greatly aid my quest against littering
  • Finally be able to prove who keeps stealing my butter-nut pudding-pops from the work freezer
I think it's a pretty good start, but I really need more. This is $300 we're talking about here, people. That's like one hundred lunches at Jack-In-The-Box. If I'm going to deprive myself of two hundred chicken burgers and two hundred delicious deep-fried tacos, there better be a lot of good reasons. So help me out, won't you?
image sourceCategories: Personal, Sci/Tech

13 Comments:

Blogger DaButtminster said...

1) Write a script, get all your friends together (give them each parts), and shoot a REAL home movie. Give copies to all participants. Post it on your personal website.

2) "Man on the street" Think of an interesting question. Go someplace with lots of people or go door-to-door with your camera and get lots of different people to answer it. Post results on your blog.

3) Videotape yourself (behind a screen, with your voice distorted) making threatening statements about your friends and family. Send out copies with your Christmas letter.

4) Supplement your blog with video clips.

1:05 PM, August 15, 2005  
Anonymous Mark D said...

I hope this doesn't sound too "blue" but it just might work. Tell your spouse that you could film an "intimate" encounter with her...maybe she's into it.

If so, BINGO!! You've got your camera.

If not, you are probably risking at the least a slap and a few nights on the couch. In this hot weather though, a few nights on the couch could really be a blessing.

It's practically win-win!!

5:05 PM, August 15, 2005  
Blogger DaButtminster said...

Do you even KNOW a woman, Mark? I mean the real kind?

5:25 PM, August 15, 2005  
Anonymous Mark D said...

DaButtminster said:

"Do you even KNOW a woman, Mark? I mean the real kind?"

Of course and I can tell you from personal experience that most of them actually like the idea as long as they can keep the footage or if they can erase it right after watching it.

As you know, women love attention.

I'm 30, so I can't speak for women over 32 or so.

5:58 PM, August 15, 2005  
Blogger DaButtminster said...

Perhaps I wasn't clear. By "real", I meant to exclude adult film stars and prostitutes. Are you (or have you ever been) married? I find myself seriously doubting it.

12:32 PM, August 16, 2005  
Blogger CSI Geek said...

Er....Mark....I really, REALLY don't see that working in Skor's case! I can't even see him suggesting it...

1:02 PM, August 16, 2005  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

DaButtminster, I love your suggestions. Though I may be more likely to actually do some of them than others.

Mark D, you should know that the Skor-spouse is a regular reader of this blog. She found your suggestion to be amusing.

Also DaButtminster, no need to attack Mark D's credibility. I have no good reason to doubt what he's saying. He just clearly hangs out with a very different type of person than you or I. Very different.

1:41 PM, August 16, 2005  
Anonymous DBM's wife said...

I'm leaving the whole videoing intimate encounters alone, but I was going to suggest that having a video camera would definately come in handy 9 months after a specific intimate enounter when "mini Skor"(s) make an appearance.

3:54 PM, August 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Skor's spouse is more opposed to filming that event than the intimate encounter....

11:33 AM, August 17, 2005  
Anonymous Soini said...

Shouldn't the mini Skor(s) be called Fun-Size Skor(s)?

Investigative reporting and some creative editing would be a nice addition to the Skor blog.

4:43 PM, August 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you video tape people saying they're not going to talk about something but wind up talking about it anyway.

3:26 PM, August 19, 2005  
Anonymous DBM's wife said...

OK, I didn't mean videoing WHILE the "bite-size Skor"s make their appearance as much as video taping "bite-size Skor"s as they develop into "fun-size Skor"s. Oh how cute they will be! Don't tell me that you don't believe in scientifically documenting each adorable phase or your offspring.

12:44 PM, August 24, 2005  
Anonymous Skor's Spouse said...

ummm, actually I don't.

12:51 PM, August 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home