Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Hurricane Reporting Raises Clothing Questions

counterfeit personI was reading the latest updates on the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast, when I came across an interesting bit of information:
Displaced survivors in the Houston Astrodome can choose from counterfeit and abandoned clothing, toys and even dog food.

More than 100,000 items were quickly taken from warehouses and more will follow, said Kristi Clemens, spokeswoman for Homeland Security's Customs and Border Protection division.
This brings a number of questions to my mind. First, what exactly is "counterfeit clothing" or "counterfeit toys" or "counterfeit dog food"? As far as I'm aware, clothing is merely defined as something that is worn to cover the body, toys are things you play with, and dog food is... um, well, it's food that dogs eat. So, whereas authentic clothing covers the body, I guess counterfeit clothing would be full of holes or something so it doesn't really cover you. Come to think of it, I think I may have seen some high schoolers wearing such garments. And I guess counterfeit toys are ones that you can't play with. Like the ones in grandma's display case. Counterfeit dog food probably looks like dog food, but really it is just plastic. Though I don't know what good that would do for hurricane survivors.

Not only am I bewildered by the existence of these counterfeit items, but I also find myself confused by the fact that there is a government agency whose responsibilities apparently include the seizing of said counterfeits. I mean, I can see that there would be a problem if I went into the store hoping to buy some real dog food, only to bring it home and find out that Rex's dinner is nothing more than processed My Little Ponies, but what does that really have to do with Homeland Security or Border Protection? I suppose it falls into the same category as January's seizure of 63,000 copies of Ghettopoly. Which is to say, the "What the heck is the federal government doing this for?" category.

Source: Seattle Times
image sourceCategories: News

2 Comments:

Anonymous Elyse said...

My brother used to play with my little pony's. I bug him about that. Maybe the "counterfeit" stuff was like "brand name" stuff. Like calling Old Navy like Old Army or Bounty being called Munificence. I don't think that has happend yet but who knows? I mean the public wouldn't be able to pronounce it but do those corporate people really care? I think not. Like the brand looks like exactly the same as the real thing except they are fake. Maybe that's it. Well what are your thoughts? Is your name really Skor? I am in a quandary.

4:08 PM, September 06, 2005  
Anonymous Father Cory said...

Counterfeit. They must've put the wrong watermark in the cloth.

5:53 PM, September 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home