Friday, September 09, 2005

Product Reactions

Do you ever have times when you see some product on television or in a store, and you think:
That's so simple and cool. I wish I had thought of that. Then I would be the one making hojillions of dollars!
I have moments like that a lot. For instance, when I heard about the TV-B-Gone in the news and how they sold 20,000 (at $15 each—$300,000 revenue!), I had such a moment.

There are also times when I have the exact opposite kind of moment. One such occasion happened the other day as I was walking through my local concentric red circles retail center and I saw this product:
COPCO Swivel Saucer
Click to view a larger version.

I believe at the moment I saw the COPCO Swivel Saucer, my thoughts were something along the lines of:
I can't believe people actually buy this junk. Worse yet, someone is profiting by selling a product specifically designed to encourage unsafe driving activities.
Sure, some might argue that the Swivel Saucer isn't necessarily being marketed at drivers, but could be used by passengers just as well. However, why would you need a little table like that if your hands aren't occupied doing something else like, you know... driving?Click to view a larger version.
COPCO French Fry Holder
That's right, you wouldn't. If you're a passenger, there's this amazing invention known as the Lap™ that works just dandy for things like that. Or, if your Lap™ isn't sufficient, you can upgrade it with the incredible technology called "any flat surface like a book or a piece of cardboard or a plate.™"

As if that weren't bad enough, right next to the Swivel Saucer was the fine product seen at right. Yes, it seems that not only did COPCO not get the memo that we're calling them Freedom Fries now, they also apparently think that people are stupid enough to buy a product whose primary selling point is that it "includes a clip-on ketchup cup." The really sad thing is that people are that stupid.

The only question I still have is why aren't these stupid people giving me their money? Maybe I should just ask.
Categories: Capitalism

6 Comments:

Blogger DaButtminster said...

I eat and drive all the time, and I would buy this if I weren't so skilled at steering with my knee.

10:48 AM, September 09, 2005  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

I eat and drive all the time

Oh, I see. So, because you do it all the time, that makes it safe to drive without having your full attention on the road?

Or maybe you just meant that you eat all the time and you drive all the time, not that you do them at the same time.

11:13 AM, September 09, 2005  
Blogger DaButtminster said...

Certainly at the same time. Of course, even with both hands on the wheel, my full attention is never on the road or my driving, so I doubt it makes a huge difference.

I have even been known to eat and talk on the phone while I drive. It does annoy me that I have to put down my hamburger in order to shift, but alas, I have had no success in shifting with my elbow.

It would also be cool to have a super-long straw so I don't have to pick up my drink . . .

12:52 PM, September 09, 2005  
Anonymous Father Cory said...

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why the percentage of car accidents has increased over the past five years.

5:47 PM, September 09, 2005  
Anonymous Elyse said...

"a super-long straw so I don't have to pick up my drink . . . "

This statement makes me think of having all the radio buttons on the stearing wheel. I think that may be useful. But I wouldn't buy a car to have a stearing wheel with lots of buttons on it. I'll most likely get my sister's brown beast. But back to my orginal thought to "dabuttminster" Be Careful! Car accidents are not fun. So pay more attention to the road and less to your food. Just a thought for your safety.

7:40 PM, September 09, 2005  
Anonymous Mered said...

Hmm, to make such a long straw you would have to have it heavily weighted at the bottom, perhaps a titanium base with a plastic extending top? Or you could get a stainless steel base with a plastic see-through tube (much like those used in fish tanks) that comes out of there and straight into your mouth. Of course, the problem would come in that anytime you let the tube out of your mouth it would fall. Perhaps this could be fixed by connecting a thick metal wire along the tube edge, helping it keep whatever form you bend it too. Or you could attach a tie clip to the tube and thus clip it onto your shirt so it doesn't fall very far when it comes out of your mouth. Hmm, choices, choices, choices... Oh, wait! What if they created a metal necklace-like device that went around your neck and had a cup holder right in front of your chest? With an adjustable height control, you could have your cup end right by your chin, having the normal straw come right up to your mouth. Just tilt your head forward and there’s your straw!

4:00 PM, September 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home