Thursday, November 17, 2005

What Ever Happened To Public Shaming?

Okay, anybody who follows the trendy news even a little bit has already heard about this story, but I've had other more important things to do than blogging lately (gasp!), so I'm just now getting to it.
public humiliationTasha Henderson got tired of her 14-year-old daughter's poor grades, her chronic lateness to class and her talking back to her teachers, so she decided to teach the girl a lesson.

She made Coretha stand at a busy Oklahoma City intersection Nov. 4 with a cardboard sign that read: "I don't do my homework and I act up in school, so my parents are preparing me for my future. Will work for food."
Okay, I don't really get why "Will work for food" was added to the sign. Maybe it's some kind of crazy Oklahoma law that all cardboard street-side signs have to say that on it. But aside from that oddity, I have to say I really rather approve of this mother's method. There's nothing like a good public shaming. And as if the embarrassment of standing on a busy street corner weren't enough, this mother managed to get the national media spotlight on her daughter, for an extra helping of guilt!

I'd like to introduce an initiative to bring back the public stocks. They're just my kind of justice. It's cheaper than prison, and in prison the criminals are stowed away where we can't see them and taunt them back to righteousness. How lame is that? Let's hear it for public shaming.

In somewhat related news, a Google search for shame results in a "Sponsored Link" on the right side of the page that declares that I can get me some shame for free! That's right, "Free Shame" is available right now on the Internet! Sweet!

Source: Seattle P-I
image sourceCategories: News, Culture

5 Comments:

Anonymous Rebekah said...

um ... I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really think that the mother's form of punishment was a good thing. Just for the recond, I think that it is very creative. I hope that is worked. I mean, if we are not allowed to spank our children anymore (as if some outside source could stop us)they should keep out of this one.

6:29 PM, November 17, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you never have children

12:23 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

Thank you for your comment, Anonymous from Port Orchard. Your input is important to us.

12:32 PM, November 18, 2005  
Anonymous Jen said...

I hope you have lots and lots of children!

3:20 PM, November 18, 2005  
Blogger Father Cory said...

Skor, you're my hero XD

11:16 AM, November 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home