Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Needs vs. Wants

I want, I want, I want!So, I was in a store the other day and the lady ahead of me in line at the register said something to the effect of "I'm very organized." That's a nice quality—it's good to be organized, I pondered. Then I watched as she demonstrated her organizational skills by pulling a folded coupon out of the side pocket of her purse.

In her continued conversation with the cashier, I heard the nice chatty lady say "I only buy needs, not wants." I thought to myself, now there's a good philosophy, and it's one you don't see very often in today's culture, either. How nice. Then the cashier stated the total bill, with coupons: just over $100 for a set of bed sheets. Hmm. Yes, $100 sheets are clearly a "need."

I can think of a lot of things that would fall under this woman's classification of "needs." For instance, I need a $30,000 sports car. No scratch that, I need an $80,000 sports car. I also need 100 acres of property with a 10,000 square foot house and an adjoining platypus farm. On an island. Furthermore, I need a seven course meal each evening. If $100 sheets are a "need" then I'm really not sure what qualifies as "wants." I suppose that the platypus farm might be a want. But I really want it, so bad that I won't be happy without it. I need it in order to be happy. So it's a need, too.

In closing, I would just like to say that it's fun to be an American.
Categories: Culture

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home