Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix

Do you want to know what kind of terrible problems I face on a daily basis? Of course you don't. But too bad, because I'm going to tell you about my latest problem anyway. And, here I go.

Dance Dance, MarioDance Dance Revolution for the GameCube. It came out in October, and since I've been waiting for like about forever for it, I of course decided that I must have it. But there was a chance that someone might buy it for me for a holiday gift* so I held off. Well, nobody bought it for me (*sniff*), so now that January has come around I decided to buy it for myself. But alas! DDR: Mario Mix is nowhere to be found! Target: nope. Game Crazy: nada. EB Games: zilch. Gamestop: yeah right. Even at so-called Best Buy: not happenin'.

So what's going on here? What evil forces are conspiring to deny me sweet dance dance action with my GameCube? I scoured the online news sources, searching for some clue as to what could be going on, only to come up empty-handed. After noticing that auctions for the game on eBay were skyrocketing to as much as $175 (3.5 times the off-the-shelf price!) I decided to go to the source to get some answers.

Here's the letter that I sent to Nintendo (more or less):

From: Skor Grimm <skorgrimm@gmail.com>
To: Nintendo <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
Date: 14:22:34.000 01/02/2006
Subject: Webform: Nintendo GameCube > Where to Buy

Hi, you probably don't know me, but I have practically been drooling on myself since DDR: Mario Mix came out because I want it so bad. I was barely able to contain myself through Christmas, keeping my fingers crossed for months in the hope that I would unwrap some sweet dance dance action on Ye Olde December 25th. Unfortunately for me (and for my trousers), I did not receive the dancing Mario at Christmas. So of course I got in my car the very next day and drove to the nearest store to buy it for myself.

After about twenty minutes inside, I realized that Safeway doesn't sell video games. So I went to a store that I'd seen it at before Christmas, only to find an empty shelf. I tried to contain the intense weeping that followed to no more than five minutes (which was quite difficult), and I quickly made my way to the next possible location to find it. When it wasn't in stock there either I began to become suspicious. Indeed; after searching every retail outlet within a fifty mile radius I was beginning to become seriously distraught—and hungry.

So I have to ask, where's the dancing Mario love? Also, do you have a sandwich? I really want to buy this game from you. I mean, like so badly that I'd steal bread from the orphans and splash old ladies with my car if I thought it would help. I want DDR: Mario Mix more than I want my next goat cheese taco (boy are those tasty). So how about it, can you help a brother out?

Yours truly,

Skor Grimm
Seattle, WA
And here the official response I received a mere 15 hours later from Nintendo, as penned by the eloquent Sharon Matheny:

From: Nintendo <nintendo@noa.nintendo.com>
To: Skor Grimm <skorgrimm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 05:33:24 --800
Subject: Re : Webform: Nintendo GameCube > Where to Buy

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

I'm sorry to hear of the problems you've experienced trying to locate Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. Consumer demand for the game was beyond our wildest expectations, so much that most stores, as well as here at our warehouses, now find themselves out of stock. We're currently reviewing our plans to bring in more product in 2006.

I sincerely empathize with your struggle to locate a copy of the game. Rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded along for further review.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Sharon Matheny
So that's all I have to go on—a steaming pile of empathy and a vague promise that they're "reviewing plans." I really hope that more copies start showing up on the shelf soon, because whistling the Mario theme and making up my own dance steps while watching the Super Mario Brothers movie on mute is probably going to start getting old in a few months.

*Isn't that just one of the dumbest sounding things you've ever read? "Holiday gift"—seriously.

Update (02.01.2006): Word straight from Nintendo is that DDR: Mario Mix will be back on shelves in April! Huzzah!
Categories: Personal, Capitalism

4 Comments:

Anonymous Elyse said...

Skor Grimm. I can't imagine you playing dance dance revolution.

I've learned something new. Sorry they were lame. But at least you'll learn patience, eh? ;)

3:19 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

Skor Grimm. I can't imagine you playing dance dance revolution.

That's why I'm only willing to play it in the privacy of my own home, where the only ones around to laugh at me are the Skor-spouse and the Skor-dog. Imagining me trying to dance dance is bad enough, but actually watching it is a punishment I do not intend to inflict upon the unsuspecting public.

3:22 PM, January 03, 2006  
Anonymous Kiddo said...

:laugh: I just bought myself Dance Dance Revolution: Ultramix 3 (for Xbox) for a whopping $39.95 + tax over at Gamestop. *puts hand through hole in pocket* Ah...it was well worth it, though. I have incorporated it into my daily routine. First thing when I wake up at six in the morning, it's Cyd's DDR time! And heck, I'm getting pretty good at it, too.

-Cyd

4:59 PM, January 03, 2006  
Anonymous Elyse said...

Cyd. I know your secret.

I have never played any DDR. Why is it so fun? Poor Skor-spouse and Skor-dog.

Since I've never seen you, I couldn't really imagine what it would look like. But I never thought that you would be into that.

OF course most of my classmates don't know I'm into Star Trek, we all have our secrets.

1:29 PM, January 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home