Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dreaming of the Future

the futureSo I had a dream last night in which I somehow traveled seven years into the future. Actually it was sort of like I just jumped straight to that time, because my friends were wondering where I had been all this time. If I were cool I probably would have made up some awesome story about space aliens and/or the unknown supernatural properties of mangos, but as it was I had no explanation for them. I was just very confused.

It was pretty cool though, the future was. There were plastic flowers that actually drank water and grew, and some kinda... cars. In the world of video games, the entire next round of systems (after the XBox 360, PS3, and Nintendo Revolution) had come out, and the Nintendo system had this small thing that clipped onto your head and basically let you enter a virtual reality type thing for playing video games. Other than that stuff and some sports updates, things were pretty much the same as they are now.

Isn't that always the way, though? Whenever anybody tries to look into the future, they always like to see all these fanciful advancements and all of humanity living in a radically different society. In reality however, the future comes around and it looks an awful lot like the past, but with slightly better eye candy.

Take flying cars, for instance. We've been looking forward to a future with flying cars since practically forever ago, even before the land-locked automobile was even invented. Sure, we got airplanes out of the deal, and they're pretty cool and all, but dang it, where are the flying cars? Actually I've got a theory on that, but it's not very funny, so maybe I'll share it later.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in a lot of ways, I prefer the future of my dreams to the real future. The biggest downside is that the future of my dreams always seems to evaporate into a fog in my head within a half hour of waking up. Someone should do something about that.
image sourceCategories: Personal, Culture

3 Comments:

Anonymous Timothy said...

Maybe they will... IN THE FUTURE!

7:15 PM, January 26, 2006  
Anonymous Jen said...

You don't really want someone to do something about that unless you want someone to haul you away to the loony bin. Reminds me of "Beautiful Mind".

7:49 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger DaButtminster said...

I also had a dream about the future last night. The details evaporated into fog, but I do remember that there was something really cool in the future.

Rather, there was something that really cool which we have now, only it was more prevalent in the future.

I sure wish I could remember what it was, but maybe it's better as a vague memory, since I can claim to be a prophet when something cool becomes more prevalent in the future.

8:29 AM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home