Friday, January 27, 2006

Measuring Blogging Success

Okay I'm really not a big fan of giving fools more attention than they deserve, and in most cases they deserve no attention at all, but I read something the other day that I just couldn't help laughing at, and I thought would be worth sharing here. There's a certain local blogger with an equestrian anatomy-inspired name and an unabashed liberal/left perspective who it is infrequently my misfortune to read the lunatic rants of. In one such recent rant, he proclaimed the following:
I'm pretty open about the fact that I view my success as a blogger mostly in terms of how well I influence the mainstream media. My goal is to inform, inspire, cajole, even manipulate my friends in the press corps. Nothing wrong with that. That's what PR is all about.
Success!Take a moment to consider what he's saying here. As a liberal/leftist blogger in one of the most liberal/leftist cities in the country, he defines his success in terms of "influencing" the liberal/leftist mainstream media. Leave aside for a moment the intentionally vague term "influence." I just have to say—wow, that's setting the bar pretty high (sarcasm). Actually, it is rather like a first grader declaring that his goal is to get his classmates to make potty jokes and fart noises. Not a very difficult goal when the group in question is not only predisposed—but actively searching for any excuse—to push the agenda that you purport to be influencing them toward.

Now lets get back to that term: influence. How delightfully un-measurable! For example, if I hypothetically blogged about something, and then hypothetically a local reporter wrote about it in the newspaper a few days later, well golly-gee—look how I influenced the mainstream media! Influence can basically be used as a synonym of predict, and I look like a great and powerful blogger extraordinaire! Super keen!

So, let's recap Mr. equestrian anatomy's lesson on achieving success. Rule 1 - Set a goal that is likely to take place regardless of your participation. Rule 2 - Make sure your definition of success is un-measurable and vague. Applying those rules, a good statement relating to the success of my blog would go something like this:
I view my success as a blogger in terms of how often good-natured people in my area are found smiling.
There we go. That sounds like a pretty good measure of success to me.
Categories: Local, Politics, Internet

1 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

So...

The whole "David Irons Allegedly Beat Up His Mom" story would've been discovered regardless of Goldstein's actions?

I know that righties have a firm belief that all media (besides FOX, WSJ) are against them, but let's put it in perspective:

Rule 1 - Set a goal that is likely to take place regardless of your participation.
When Joni Balter (not a leftist; she authored the Times' endorsement of Rossi) wrote about the "Alleged Mom Beating" in 2005, she totally soft-pedaled it, saying, "who knows what happened, it's more politics as usual".

Goldstein (I know you hold him in low regard) really hammered the story, writing at least four pieces about Irons. Two days after his first big post on Irons, the PI picked it up, and it was being discussed on talk radio and on editorial pages. That's what Goldy means when he says "influence media." Which leads to...

Rule 2 - Make sure your definition of success is un-measurable and vague.

This information isn't widely known, but Ron Sims' polling three weeks before the election had him up by 3% with women- a demographic Democrats usually carry in King Co. by a wider margin. After Goldstein's posts about Irons and his "mother troubles", three weeks later, Sims' was up by 17%.
I think the definition of success was Sims' reelection by a margin of 17 points, and the big shift in women voters certainly isn't vauge.

(It's bad manners to troll, but I think its interesting what the righty blogs think. BTW, I'm not posting anonymously, so that counts for something, right?)

10:23 PM, January 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home