Monday, January 30, 2006

"We will do anything to eat the way we eat."

An article that was reprinted from a Longview newspaper in today's Seattle Times caught my attention this morning. Actually "grabbed my attention" might be a more accurate phrase. Maybe even "grabbed my attention, threw it on the pavement, and kicked it a few times—just for fun." But I digress. The unnecessarily violent news story in question is one on the topic of a junk food ban at a school district in Longview, Washington.

Here is an inordinate number of relevant quotes from the article:
Get to class on time? Or grab a Pepsi to quench a caffeine craving?

For Thomas Chavez, a junior at Mark Morris High School, the choice has been a tough one this year.

To get his caffeine fix, the 17-year-old frequently heads off-campus, to gas stations and stores across the street from the high school.

"I do it all the time, when I have money," Chavez said. The trips sometimes make him slide into his seat after the bell. And in extreme circumstances, he even has ditched class.
...
...students say they've found ways around the ban [on soft drinks and sugary foods], by browsing local convenience stores for soda and candy, heading home for a treat or bringing their own snacks."We will actually do anything to eat the way we eat..."

"It's really pointless because you just go somewhere else and be unhealthy," said Tia Oliver, a 17-year-old Mark Morris senior.
...
"There are so many places around here," said Katie Cain, a 16-year-old Mark Morris sophomore. "Some people are late to school because they go to Starbucks."
...
"It's ridiculous. All the school is doing is losing money," said Amber Buckee, a 16-year-old Mark Morris junior. "All the kids do is take time out of our day and go over to the gas station and get the same stuff."

Last school year, Amber Corona bought a soda nearly every day at school. This year is a different story.

"You're always thirsty, and all you can have is water now," the 16-year-old Mark Morris sophomore complained.
...
"We will actually do anything to eat the way we eat," said Lee Dowd, an 18-year-old Mark Morris senior. "We will walk for it. We will drive for it. We will pay extra for it."
I guess this would be a lot funnier if all those quotes from high school students were made up. But these really are the kids that are being raised in America today. What wonderful values we are instilling in the generation that is poised to lead this country into the future. When Starbucks takes priority over going to class, is anyone truly surprised at the very real possibility that 40% (or more) of high school students will likely fail the WASL?

Yet again I find myself wondering: how do I get these stupid people to give me their money? For once it seems like I might be onto an answer to that question: offer them fast, affordable, and tasty food (which may or may not be absolutely awful for their health).

Source: Seattle Times
Categories: News, Local, Culture

3 Comments:

Anonymous Timmy! said...

I'm wondering if these schools offer nutrition courses. I know that in college, students become a lot more keenly aware of what they are putting into their body (probably because they're also keenly aware of an expanding waistline).

It would be hypocritical of me to completely criticize what these kids are doing, because I always ate off campus while I was in high school. I can say, looking back, that I wish that I had more knowledge of nutritional foods and a better appreciation of how much cheaper it is to bring a water bottle and lunch from home!

10:53 PM, January 31, 2006  
Anonymous Jen said...

The WASL is not as easy as it sounds, or as useful. Picture an application to be a part of the ACLU and you basically have the WASL. If you don't think like the idiodic librals that wrote it, then you are bound to fail. They don't encourage students to think for themselves. It might be a good idea for you to take the test before you comment on it.

5:57 PM, February 01, 2006  
Blogger Skor Grimm said...

I would LOVE to take the test! Do you know how I can?

8:07 PM, February 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home