Thursday, February 23, 2006

Receiving Sincere Help

I called the IT department at my place of employment yesterday to let them know that my phone is broken and I'd like a new one. That is to say, the display on the phone is broken, not the phone's ability to make calls—otherwise how would I be calling IT? The friendly representative that I spoke with took down all my details and assured me that it would be assigned to "the phone guy" and taken care of as soon as possible.

Shortly after completing this conversation, I received an email from the IT department confirming my request. It looked a little something like this:
From: IT Help Desk
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:45 AM
To: Skor Grimm
Subject: I/T Request #2006-91904

This message has been sent to you as confirmation for a request that you initiated with the I/T department. Please review this request as described below and contact us immediately if any of the information is incorrect.
Request Placed On : 02/22/2006 at 9:41
Caller Name Is :    GRIMM, SKOR
Assign To Tech :    The Phone Guy
Current Status :    Logged
Your Call-back #:   Ext.9999
Reason for request: Phone works , but phone display doesn't display.
To view your request online with real time status updates use the link below:
https://www.internalcompanylink.com/IT/helpdesk.asp?helpme#2006-91904

You may also use the Company Intranet to track all your request.
To obtain a Company Intranet logon follow the process from the link below.
\\server\public\IT\Forms\TRACKING_FOR_DUMMIES.doc

Sincerely,
IT Help Desk
Ext. ____
It's certainly nice to have a confirmation that something is being done about my expressionless telephone, even if it is just a form letter. However, I do have to wonder, given that it is a form letter, how "sincere" can it really be? How do I know that the IT Help Desk is really truly sincere in their hearts? Maybe only the person who penned the original form letter was sincere. Maybe Microsoft Word made a sincere recommendation to insert "sincerely" at the end of the template. For that matter, what exactly are they being sincere about? It's hard to find any sentiment at all in that email, let alone sentiment that could be taken to be sincere. Do they sincerely wish me well? Do they sincerely want me to go away? Are they sincerely tired of dealing with pain-in-the-thyroid users like me? Who can say.

Whatever the real meaning of IT's form letter to me is, I sure hope that they replace my phone soon. It's a little creepy having a blank-display telephone sitting on my desk. It's like having a person with completely white eyes sitting next to me all day just staring at me. *shudder*
Categories: Personal

1 Comments:

Blogger LotharBot said...

I sincerely hope you get the help you desire.

12:43 PM, February 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home