Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Update: Commute Or DIE!

As you may recall, I had recently been considering alternative means of transporting my body to and from my place of work. Even more recently, my decision was "helped along" thanks to some extenuating circumstances. Unfortunately elephants are not allowed on the local trails, so I had to go with my second-favorite plan: the electrically-assisted bicycle.

Here are a few things that I have learned in a week of riding an e-bicycle to work:
  • Despite what car-dwellers may think, being rained on while commuting does not result in instant and explosive death.
  • Sports clothes at REI are hecka expensive!
  • Just because you can attempt to take a turn at 20mph on the wet trail doesn't mean you should—unless you enjoy getting intimate with the blackberry bushes beside the trail. In that case, go ahead.
  • A few hundred extra dollars is totally worth it to be able to cruise past an extremely fit, expensively equipped, hardcore cyclist while barely pedaling at all.
  • Ducks and geese are not the brightest critters when it comes to getting the heck out of the way of a rapidly-approaching vehicle.
  • It's a good idea to figure out how to replace a flat tire before you get stranded halfway between home and work.
  • Yelling out your car window at a passing bicycle is apparently entertaining.
Also worth mentioning (though I wouldn't say I "learned" anything from it) is a particular lady that I have seen twice now on my way home. She's out for an afternoon walk with one hand pushing a stroller with her child, the dog walking alongside on a leash (tied to the stroller), and a cell phone in the other hand glued to her ear as she yaps away with who knows who. Good thing she's got that cell phone. Otherwise she'd be forced to actually spend time with her kid or enjoy the scenery or something. That would sure be tragic.

All in all, I have to say I'm quite happy to be free from the confines of the 4-wheeled steel cage. When the only traffic you have to deal with is ducks, geese, herons, and moms with strollers; life is good.
Categories: Personal

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

YAY for bikes of any kind, electric or not. Also, I might be acquiring a job at REI soon so I will have access to a nice little discount that might be of use to you! I’m glad your enjoying your new mode of transport.

8:00 PM, March 28, 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

I much prefer not commuting at all. ;)

9:28 PM, March 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That part about geese not getting out of the way...you're making me laugh at work...keep it up!

11:10 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Carl said...

Trust me, passing other cyclists isn't nearly as fun as passing city busses (in fairly light traffic no less). Better yet, follow alongside the bus, they'll break the wind for you.

For the time being I drive my car do biking distance of the University, then bike in from there. It would be a lot more efficient to just use a motorcycle, but I'll have to work all summer to afford one.

8:55 PM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home